Flipkart

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Ender's Game




This movie is based on the novel "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. It stars Harrison Ford as a Colonel, Asa Butterfield, the one who is destined to save everyone. It involves Earth getting attacked by Alien species called Formics, Hollywood please get original. This movie begins by a quote from Ender "When I understand my enemy well enough to defeat him, then in that moment, I also love him". That right away gave me an indication this movie is going to be about Morality of war.
My problem stared with the premise of the movie. Kids are being trained for war by playing video games, how can anyone not have a problem with that. Once I was able to digest that, this movie started shoving Ender's character down my throat. I understood he is a great tactician and strategist 10th time Ford said it, even though he looked like a psychopath to me. 



After saying he is the ONE for the millionth time, it is established that we have to cheer for Ender cause he is gonna save humanity. This movie never even tries to develop any characters except for Ender, I don't even remember one's name and I saw the movie only a few hours ago. It was established he cares for his sister and he is doing all of this to save her, which I liked for a kid nothing is more important than family. 


This movie reminded me of Harry Potter and Starship Troopers several times, which is not a bad thing but not a great thing either, for me this movie lacks a soul. Moral confusion is one of the biggest theme of the movie and it clearly says "you can't win if you follow rules" and but then the stakes never felt high cause we never saw what these aliens could do or did, so all of this felt meaningless. 


The biggest flaw of this movie is, it lacks seriousness, it needed a real galactic battle to show what the aliens could do but instead every action sequence was either inside a video game or a battle in controlled environment. So we never really cared for any of the character, it never felt that any of the character was ever in any danger of getting killed.





Comments

comments powered by Disqus